Wednesday, December 13, 2006

ProSonic's New Friend -- AngelScript

I am 75% sure ProSonic will use AngelScript. I don't want to write my own scripting language because it's too much of a hassle, and there are other people who can do a far better job than I ever could. So I think this is a smart decision. It is very close to C/C++ code, and I think it will have the flexibility I need.

I know that as soon as some people read that, they're going to feel disappointed. So let me clarify this again -- you won't have to program or know anything about AngelScript. I will be sure to write software that will work like the popular "event editor" used by Click Team.

I have also been rewriting ProSonic from scratch. I took a break for a few weeks because of college work, but now I'm heavily involved in ProSonic again. On December 15th, I will release a couple of downloads to the public. I can't guarentee it'll be exactly what everyone wants, but I'm doing what I can with the short amount of time I have.

Backgrounds in the new ProSonic engine work flawlessly. This wasn't the case in the old engine due to the methods used to draw the screen. The minimum requirement might be bumped up to a Pentium III processor though. I'm hoping that isn't the case, because I would love to see it run smoothly on my old Pentium II - 400MHz computer.

The new PZF format is complete. I have a PZF compiler that works well too. I have a Chemical Plant PZF file I've been using during tests that's 1.13MB in size. With compression, it can be sized down to under 30KB. I'm excited about the PZF format because of the vast amounts of flexibility it allows. I have an entire library written for the format that is being used in the PZF compiler, as well as the new ProSonic engine.

The future looks bright for ProSonic. Check back for updates, because they're coming just around the corner.

No comments: